Fall and winter tips

A car acts as a refrigerator in winter, trapping the cold inside. Your pet could freeze to death if left inside a car in cold temperatures. Also, consider a microchip, a safe and permanent form of identification that can help get a lost pet home.

 


Antifreeze is very toxic and can cause kidney failure and death--and dogs love its sweet flavor. Clean up spills and make sure your dog does not have access to antifreeze, including spills at gas stations and rest stops. Signs of ingestion include lethargy, vomiting, incoordination, excessive urination, excessive thirst, low body temperature, seizures, and coma. If you suspect your dog has ingested antifreeze get him/her to a veterinarian immediately.

 

Dogs can lose their scent in snow and ice and easily become lost. Always keep ID tags on your dog and your dog on a leash when in unenclosed outdoor spaces.

 

 

 

Cats may seek warmth under the hood of your car and can be injured or killed by the fan belt. Bang loudly on the hood before starting the car to give cats a chance to escape.